If you pay attention to your WordPress Dashboard (I notice mine every 2-3 days), you might have seen that version 1.3 of Carrington has been released. Carrington is the theme I use for SilverPen Publishing, but it’s more than a theme: Carrington is a unique shift in theme framework development and finds itself in a significantly more advanced category than your standard WordPress theme.
Simply put, it’s all kinds of wonderful, and I’ve really enjoyed having its style represent SilverPen Publishing. However, I have had to make a few tweaks to the theme, and when faced with an upgrade, I was hesitant to recommit myself to that task. All of those changes would have to be made once again, and I didn’t take notes on what I had edited because I didn’t think I’d have to do it again any time soon, let alone with this theme.
Most theme publishers write a theme, put it out for public consumption, and leave it. I never expect upgrades of a theme unless a major change in WordPress outright breaks the theme, and even then it doesn’t get upgraded most of the time. Alex King‘s a champ, though, and stands by his work. If I could laud him any more highly I would, but for now my praise and recommendation will have to be sufficient. Such dedication caught me by surprise though, hence the lack of notes.
Because there were some important security upgrades in this version, I went ahead and upgraded after backing up my current theme, and then spent some time going through and changing what I needed to. In addition, I actually took notes this time as I went, and I’m going to go ahead and post them here. As I read in someone else’s blog recently, notes for me, notes for you.
Reasons to upgrade:
From Alex King’s blog:
Version 1.3 of Carrington Blog is now available for download.
Upgrading is strongly recommended due to a security patch in this release.
This version has a couple of changes – both bug fixes and new features:
- Added an image.php file for displaying media. This is not yet abstracted into the framework, but will be in the future.
- Added a field to the settings page for adding in analytics code.
- Fixed a problem with IE7 and the dropdown menus.
- Explicitly send headers with AJAX responses, hopefully fixes some issues reported by Safari users.
- Added a Log In link to the header.
- Added code to load in translations.
- Updated documentation.